Zaden81
Hi,

Is there any distinction or reason (or perhaps just a typo on their part) that the article below from another academy perporting to represent Master Yuan Xiu Gang advises using the middle finger, instead of the ring finger, between qigong sets for wu xing? The pericardium and san jiao are, of course, both unique as far as meridians go from a TCM perspective. Do the two ways have different purposes? Just curious.

http://www.wudanggongfu.com/kungfu/article02.htm
The yin yang hand position is done by interlocking the two hands together. With the left hand, touch the tip of the middle finger to the outside knuckle of the ring finger on the right hand. With the tip of the left thumb, touch the inside knuckle of the ring finger on the right hand. Finally, interlock the two hands by touching the tips of the middle finger and thumb of the right hand. The hands should resemble two rings linked together." (emphasis added)

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
Master Ziji
Seems like a misinterpretation - an American student wrote this text - both ring fingers touch - infinity - continuing the circle.
The posture differs for men and women - for men the left-hand touches with the ring finger the ring finger of the right hand. while the thumb connects to the ring finger on the right hand. - Do you need more information on this? I think it already is explained in the online classes.

Most information out there which is not from our website is often poor quality - mostly student translate or explain some texts or information but most of them have no practical knowledge or maybe learned something wrong.
Best Wishes
Master Ziji
Quote 0 0
Zaden81
Master Ziji wrote:
Seems like a misinterpretation - an American student wrote this text - both ring fingers touch - infinity - continuing the circle.
The posture differs for men and women - for men the left-hand touches with the ring finger the ring finger of the right hand. while the thumb connects to the ring finger on the right hand. - Do you need more information on this? I think it already is explained in the online classes.

Most information out there which is not from our website is often poor quality - mostly student translate or explain some texts or information but most of them have no practical knowledge or maybe learned something wrong.

Thank you. I figured it was a mistake, but wanted to make sure. I definitely see the difference in quality you are talking about. 

Yes, the technique is clearly explained in the classes. I am always happy to learn more too though. Like, if there is a specific meaning or reason to the finger placement (like connecting the Large Intestine and San Jiao meridians, TCM comes to mind most readily for me due to being an acupuncturist). The history of trainings and techniques is always fascinating. Thanks!
Quote 0 0
Mishti
What I always wanted to know is, why is it different for men and women? Is that just a tradition or biologically indicated?
Quote 0 0
Master Ziji
It is a sealing / preserving method for practitioners at a more advanced stage. For women, I cannot tell from my experience because I am not a woman - but the connection to Yin and Yang and Dantian position is slightly different. The focus point and .. actually all is different but it takes a long time to go over all this in just a small post. It is a very complicated topic, and people who have studied meridians may be able to tell you a lot more than me. What is nourishing for a woman is different in internal practice and the connection between heart and Dantian .. as well as the rotation, is different. Men should practice as men and women as women - interchanging the way of posture is not good and may disturb the internal balance - required the practitioner is at an advanced stage and has good control over the focus.

Many people who practice internal arts with wrong energetic poles may become strange - may feel something or becoming oversensitive - that is caused by this imbalance. Again I can only speak for men, and I found this "poles" between Yin and Yang important to stay calm and to have a replenishing effect afterward. 
My main interest is always in practical understanding - and after some years I felt the difference of this postures, this information is superstitious if not practical understood - so I never had interest in going into the more complicated texts of meridian practice. We were taught in Wudang whats right and whats wrong - the rest is up to you - keep the practice as simple as possible and you get the most of it.
Best Wishes
Master Ziji
Quote 1 0