Zaden81
Hi Everyone,

Last weekend I broke my kneecap. Luckily, as long as it doesn't shift more, it won't require surgery. It does, however, require at least 4 weeks in a brace and I am not supposed to put weight on it without support from crutches. I am experienced with modifying my Art Du Deplacement/Parkour training to simply not use the injured leg. I would like to minimize losing what I have gained via the online academy with regard to Wudang training though. I am experiementing with how much of the jian training I can do without using the footwork (ex. the stabbing drills I can do without the step, thereby still keeping the strength in my shoulders and wrists. I can still do the arm and breathing parts of the new, and much looked forward to, taiji jian form). Most of the forms I simply cannot do due to being unable to go into most of the stances. Once I am given the ok for putting weight on it I can go back to doing daily zhan zhuang.
  Anyway, I am just wanting to see if anyone has any ideas that I haven't thought of, since working on forms is pretty much out of the question for the next few weeks (other than walking through them without the actual foot movements to keep my memory fresh). 
  As for the healing process, in case anyone is wondering, my wife and I are acupuncturists/herbalists, so we are adding that and doing anything I can to speed the healing process.
  Thanks in advance.
Quote 0 0
Mishti

Dear Zaden,

Hope you'll be better soon.

I displaced the kneecaps on each of my legs multiple times. This is of course different than a broken kneecap but here are my experiences:
  • Acupuncture helped with pain relief and swelling.
  • As soon as the strongest swelling was over (sometimes with help of punctation, i.e. taking the liquid out in a hospital), I started slow training with either a physiotherapist while lying (lift leg up while lying) or in the swimming pool (just moving it with support from water).
  • For my injury, the first 3-4 weeks I really took it slow until I could walk halfway decent, but did very easy exercises every day.
  • These exercises were not comparable to any training we usually do in the school, but were meant only to prevent the muscle from weakening too much.
  • I had not started training in the school during my last injury, so I also cannot tell you what I would have done with the knowledge of today.
Good luck and I really suggest to stay with the advice of your doctor or physiotherapist!
Quote 0 0
Zaden81
Thanks.
Quote 0 0